Quilts I've Made

A quilt for Master D

This blog post belongs to my “Nine quilts by Christmas” series. If you would like to read how it started, click here. If you would like to see quilts one, two, and three, please click on the relevant number. For quilts five to nine, stay tuned!

DSC_0595 (2)

This quilt was for Master D. The pattern is Hello March by Allison Harris of Cluck Cluck Sew, and the fabric is entirely pulled from the shelves of my local quilt store – Marcelle’s Patchwork Cottage.
There’s a bit of Sunday Supper (Sweetwater for Moda), Grunge (Basic Grey for Moda), Tabby Road (Tula Pink for Free Spirit), and more. Red’s not normally my colour (give me blue any day!), so I was intentional about including it in this one, and I’m really happy with it.

DSC_0746 (2)

DSC_0778 (2)

DSC_0866 (2)

The pattern was super quick and easy. I loved watching this one come together so swiftly!Β The final quilt size was 61.5″ x 75″.

Master D is my husband’s godson, so hubby was thrilled when we got the chance to help me longarm quilt it. He did most of it himself. It was pretty cute. We used a modern geometric (squares and circles) pattern on this one.

IMG_20171212_114802 (2)

The border fabrics for this one are from V and Co’s Spectrum collection (navy), and the grey is from Desert Blooms by Sheri and Chelsi, both for Moda. The backing is a red flannel from Moda.

DSC_0750 (2)

DSC_0759 (2)

And that’s it! Master D seemed to think the result was snuggly enough, so I’m counting it as a win!

DSC_0889 (2)

I have two more boy quilts to share this week! Can’t wait to show you!

Quilts I've Made

A Mammoth Effort

I was pretty quiet at the end of 2017, and while I haven’t been super consistent with this blog to date, I have been busting for the last 2 months to share this project with you! Alas, it was under wraps until its Christmas deadline.

DSC_0621 (2)

These pretties have been a roller coaster in the making, but boy, were they a satisfying finish!!! And did I get some mega hugs when they were gifted!

DSC_0360

Not long after I first started quilting, I decided that I wanted to make a quilt for each of my nine nieces and nephews. At the rate I was making quilts at that time (about 3 a year), I didn’t think it was fair to gift them one at a time – as it could be years and YEARS between the first and last quilt being gifted. So I planned to give them all at once, with no real deadline as to when that would be.

And then, about 8 weeks ago, I had a brain wave. All nine nieces and nephews would be in one place, this Christmas. That only happens every few years. I had three quilt tops made, and I had just over six weeks to make six more quilt tops, and then quilt, bind, and label the lot. Easy, right? Hah!

Nothing for it but to dig-in and get the job done!

Challenge number one: The early quilt-tops I’d already made were only crib-sized. The eldest of my nieces and nephews was 13. Crib-sized was not going to cut it.
Solution – I made each a crib-sized centre panel, and added 3.5″ and 6.5″ borders. Hooray for borders adding quick width!

DSC_0673 (3)

Issue number two: I wanted each quilt to be unique. No two centre-panel patterns were to be repeated, and nor were the quilting patterns.
Solution: I relied on my favourite quilt pattern designers – Amy Smart of Diary of a Quilter, Allison Harris of Cluck Cluck Sew, and Emily Dennis of Quilty Love, for relatively quick and easy patterns that packed a visual punch. And then I was so thankful to Marcelle from Marcelle’s Patchwork Cottage, who has been teaching me to use her long-arm quilter. By knowing the edge-to-edge patterns available, and having access to such a beautiful machine, my dream of nine unique quilts in such an absurd timeframe became suddenly achievable.

So here they are, and I am SO excited and thankful to be on the other side of this challenge!

Quilt Merge

DSC_0630 (2)

IMG_20171223_183846 (2)

All of the quilts have flannel backings, as the kids all live in Victoria, so I wanted them to be nice and snuggly. I thought about using wool wadding for extra warmth, but I prefer the feel of cotton quilts, so I stuck with the 100% cotton.DSC_0759 (2)

I used printable fabric to make labels, and vlisofixed them onto the backings. I used a simple blanket stitch with thread that coordinated with the quilt binding to finish them off. Name removed from pic below for privacy πŸ™‚

IMG_20171223_184540 (2)

It was the ultimate seal of approval when the kids all dragged their new quilts out on the deck as they went about their busy-ness, or snuggled up under them for the Christmas afternoon movie.

IMG_20171225_151535 (2)

IMG_20171225_155322 (2)

IMG_20171225_170605 (2)

Also, I wish all quilt recipients were as excited as a four-year old!

DSC_0366 (2)

Over then next few weeks I’ll show you more detailed shots of each individual quilt here on the blog, as well as information on the fabrics and patterns used, so stay tuned! Or subscribe for updates πŸ™‚
You can also see more picture on my instagram using the hashtag #ninequiltsbychristmas
Can’t wait to share more!